DEARBORN, Mich – Michigan’s largest conference on entrepreneurship will be held at the Ritz Carlton in Dearborn, Michigan on October 23-24. TiECon Midwest is designed for the Innovative Entrepreneur who thinks creatively, innovatively and resourcefully to create their own future regardless of economic conditions and uncertainties. More than 1,000 participants will engage in a dynamic dialog with entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, top industry executives and thought leaders in two action-packed days at TiECon Midwest 2009 focusing on the four vertical tracks: Cleantech, IT, Healthcare and Emerging Concepts.
Rick Snyder will be one of the keynote speakers. Mr. Snyder was formerly president of Gateway Computer, and the first chairman of the Michigan Economic Development Corporation. Snyder is currently the Chairman and CEO of Ardesta, a venture capital firm that invests in innovative startups. Since 1991, his primary business activities have focused on the technology industry and the development of emerging and high growth companies. Rick also recently announced his candidacy for Michigan Governor “because he believes it is time for a leader with a strong entrepreneurial background to reinvent Michigan.”
From 1991 to 1997, Rick served as executive vice president and then president and COO of Gateway, Inc. His responsibilities included overseeing all company operations and assisting in the strategic direction of the company. During his tenure at Gateway, the company grew from a privately held $500 million company to a NYSE-traded organization with revenues in excess of $6 billion. In 1997, Rick founded and led Avalon Investments, Inc., a venture capital company targeted at investments in technology-oriented ventures. Avalon was established as a $100 million fund targeting early stage technology investments. From 1997 to 2000, it invested in 24 companies, including several that were started based on technology transferred from universities.
Other keynote speakers include:
- Dr. Roger Newton, President and CEO of Esperion Therapeutics, Inc.
- Lesa Mitchel, Vice President of the Kauffman Foundation
- Vinita Gupta, Chairman and CEO, Quick Eagle Networks
- Gary C. Peters, U.S. Congressman, 9th District, Michigan
- Subhendu Guha, Ph.D., President and COO, United Solar Ovonic
- Daniel Mulhern
- Josh Linkner, Founder and CEO of ePrize
- Ned Staebler, Vice President of the Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Robbie Hardy, Consultant with the Kauffman Foundation
Additionally, TiECon Midwest 2009 features include:
- Power Connect – a focused networking session attendees and 50 industry experts, entrepreneurs and venture capitalists.
- Business Boot Camp – to train bold entrepreneurs with technical ingenuity and groundbreaking ideas to consider the practical aspects of managing a company. Four sessions will be led by battle-tested industry experts focused on: raising funds, legal issues, building teams, scaling sales, and creating awareness among targeted audiences through marketing and PR campaigns.
- High-powered keynote speakers from all over the world.
- A Business Plan Competition
As Michigan businesses struggle in the current economy, the TiE Midwest conference in Dearborn provides a unique opportunity to exchange ideas, explore new businesses, discuss emerging technologies, share growth strategies and obtain insight from global business leaders, community leaders and worldwide experts.
Leading the Business Bootcamp will be:
- Randal Charlton, Executive Director of Detroit Tech Town
- Patrick M. O’Keefe, Founder of O’Keefe and Associates
- Joe Urbany, Professor of Marketing at the University of Notre Dame
- Terry Bean, Founder of Motor City Connect
- Michael Gaiss, Senior VP for Highland Capital Partners
Online registration and more information are immediately available for TiECon Midwest 2009 at http://www.tieconmidwest.org and http://www.detroit.tie.org.
For more information about the conference, please contact Nicole Raymond, TiE Detroit (248)254-4013, (248)631-9263, or via e-mail at [email protected].
TiE is a global, not-for-profit organization dedicated to fostering entrepreneurs across its international network sponsored by top Venture Capital Firms, and Fortune 500 corporations; spread across 53 chapters in 12 countries comprising 1800 experienced entrepreneurs and business executives as charter members, 12000 aspiring entrepreneurs and professionals as members. TiE has grown to become the world’s largest non-profit organization for entrepreneurs.