Pledge driven dog walk and celebration benefits homeless animals.
DEARBORN, Michigan – The Dearborn Animal Shelter’s Mutt Strut & Pet Expo is the largest gathering of pet fans in the area. It takes place on Saturday, May 11 at Ford Field Park in Dearborn. Several thousand attendees converged for Mutt Strut last year to take part in the walk, shop, enjoy family entertainment and help raise funds for adoptable animals in the care of the Shelter.
According to Elaine Greene, Executive Director, Friends For the Dearborn Animal Shelter, “Each year we introduce new activities to keep the day fresh and exciting for returning supporters and appeal to more new attendees as well. Mutt Strut & Pet Expo brings so many people together for fun of course, but to spotlight the joy of pet companionship and to help homeless animals.”
Sponsored by Dearborn Family Pet Care, Mutt Strut commences with a 2.3 mile pledge-driven walk for all skill levels to leash up their dogs and strut with family and friends. The leisurely walk runs adjacent to Michigan Avenue and provides businesses a chance to showcase themselves to new visitors to the city. The expo portion is a community-wide animal celebration that features an array of free, fun activities, including:
- NEW this year, an array of metro Detroit Food Trucks serving gourmet street fare
- NEW fastest Mutt in the Midwest competition
- Returning for its second year, the Yelp.com VIP Hound Lounge for Walkers raising $300 or more
- Celebration Tent with an Adopted dog birthday Pawty and meet new adoptable pets
- Former Detroit Tiger Milt Wilcox and his Ultimate Air Dogs in dock-diving competition
- K-9 Fun Run, a luring-style race for family pets to unleash their energy
- Doggie Fun Zone offering games and contests galore
- Health Zone focusing on healthy lifestyles for people and pets
- Midway of local and eco-friendly vendors with pet-related items
During the first seven years, Mutt Strut supporters raised over $400,000 benefiting more than 15,000 rescued animals. This year, the fundraising goal is $65,000 and businesses, organizations, and individuals are leading the charge to better that number, with over $11,000 already raised. Pledging is made easy with personalized online web pages that teams and individuals can set up in minutes.
Mutt Strut and Pet Expo takes place at Ford Field Park in Dearborn, near Michigan Avenue and Brady street on Saturday, May 11. Register in advance online to participate in the Mutt Strut & Pet Expo or Walk-up registration begins at 9:00 a.m., with ribbon cutting and the walk starting at 11:00 a.m.; activities continue to 3:00 p.m.
The Dearborn Animal Shelter is located at 2661 Greenfield Road, Dearborn, and is operated by the Friends For the Dearborn Animal Shelter, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.