DEARBORN, Michigan – The “12 on 12” pop-up art gallery, Dearborn’s first, opened to the public on Wednesday, July 17,p.m. The 12 on 12 Gallery, located at 13742 Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12), showcases 12 professional artists from around southeastern Michigan demonstrating their art forms, answering questions about technique and showcasing their artwork in the improvised gallery.
The gallery, a project of the East Dearborn Downtown Development Authority (EDDDA) with support from Oakwood Healthcare and the Dearborn Community Fund, will be open on two additional Wednesdays, July 24 and 31 from 5 to 10 p.m. Admission is free.
The 12 on 12 Gallery site and days of operation coincide with performance dates for the EDDDA’s popular Jazz on the Ave summer concert series which takes place at City Hall Park directly across the street from the gallery.
More information on the “12 on 12” artists is featured below…
- Mohamad Bazzi: Bazzi has extensive experience as a working artist, muralist and graphic artist.
- Mark Beltchenko: An award winning sculptor, Beltchenko specializes in contemporary sculpture, jewelry and designs in metal.
- Sean Bieri: Bieri is a cartoonist, graphic designer and former art director for the Metro Times.
- Daniel Cascardo: As a painter and muralist, Cascardo has exhibited in galleries, conducts workshops and frequently appears as an “artist in motion.”
- Keith Coleman: A Taylor, Mich., native, Coleman sculptures incorporate recycled materials and include the iconic Merrill Lynch bull located on Biddle Avenue in Wyandotte.
- Henry Ford Community College Ceramics: Led by faculty member Steve Glazer, the ceramics program frequently participates in demonstrations and exhibitions.
- Lindsey Harnish: Harnish’s paintings are a “blend of techniques from Art Nouveau and Lowbrow to the whims of picture books.”
- Ralph Hashoian: A retired art teacher, Hashoian continues to produce sketches and watercolors.
- Gwen Joy: An experienced artist, Joy has work featured in galleries such as Gallery 555, Motor City Art Gallery and MOCAD.
- Martine MacDonald: MacDonald’s work includes paintings, drawings and mixed media. Her work is exhibited in galleries throughout Michigan.
- Elise Mesner: Photographer and fine artist, Mesner also works in mixed media collage, wood and canvas. .
- Michael Ross: A multimedia artist, Ross is a painter, woodworker and skateboard designer.
In addition to interacting with the artists, gallery visitors will have an opportunity to cast a vote to determine a People’s Choice and two additional awards.