DEARBORN, MI. — Are you an animal lover? Got a great story about your pet, the outdoors or wildlife?
As part of The Big Read Celebration of Jack London’s The Call of the Wild, Dearborn Public Library is sending out a call for stories about animals, written by Dearborn residents. The deadline is Feb. 1. This program is open to all ages.
Your work may be selected for publication in the short story collection Call of the Wild Dearborn: Animal Tales.
To participate, email your short story (or other written work) of one to four pages, along with one or two sentences about yourself, to [email protected]. The content should be in an MS-Word formatted document or written as text in the email message. Please also complete the release form, which is available at dearbornlibrary.org, so that your work can be considered for publication.
Photos and artwork, along with your narrative, are also welcome and can be emailed along with your text.
Possible topics include:
- A short story, poem or essay about your pet or any animal (real or fictional)
- A short story, poem or essay about the environment, nature or wildlife
- A short story told from the perspective of your pet or any animal (“The Call of the Wild” is told from the perspective of a dog named Buck.)
- An essay about “The Call of the Wild”
Dearborn Public Library will compile all selected stories and produce a book of “animal tales” for its library collection. Also, copies will be available for purchase via a link on its website. Proceeds will benefit the Dearborn Public Library.
If you do not have access to email, you may also mail these items to:
Henry Ford Centennial Library
Attn: The Big Read Dearborn
16301 Michigan Ave.
Dearborn, MI 48126
Fun-filled activities and events centered on “The Call of the Wild” will take place in and around Dearborn in March through May 2014.
The adventure – Call of the Wild: EmBARKING on Discovery – begins with a kickoff at The Henry Ford in the Anderson Theater 11 a.m.-3 p.m. on Saturday, March 8.
Sign up for email updates at BigReadDearborn.org.
The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest. The program is designed to revitalize the role of literature in American culture and to encourage people to read for pleasure and enlightenment.
You can borrow a copy of Jack London’s classic story, The Call of the Wild – at your local Dearborn Library.
Related Links and Resources
- Call of the Wild by Jack London – 244 page book, 1912 edition – via Google Books
- Call of the Wild by Jack London – 72 page book, 2009 edition – via Google Books
- Call of the Wild by Jack London – for purchase via Amazon