DEARBORN, Michigan – There’s music in the air as the summer outdoor concert series in the both east and west Dearborn downtown areas continue.
The EDDDA’s popular Jazz on the Ave summer concert series which takes place at City Hall Park is across the street from the 12 on 12 Art Gallery, which is timed to coincide with the popular free concerts.
The East Dearborn Downtown Development Authority’s series Jazz on the Ave brings back popular jazz musicians to City Hall Park at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Schaefer on Wednesday nights in July and August. Food from local restaurants will be available for purchase on site at the park again this year for your convenience.
The remaining 2013 Jazz on the Ave schedule is as follows (all concerts are 7-9 p.m.):
- July 24 – Randy Scott, saxophonist – Detroit based jazz saxophonist Randy Scott “is a favorite on the contemporary jazz scene, well-loved for his smooth sound and great musicianship. Working as musician, producer and composer, the multi-talented Scott has earned two gold records, two platinum records and a multi-platinum record for his work on Gospel Wow as well as his work with jazz greats Kirk Franklin and Greg Hammond.”
- July 31 – Two great bands: New York’s Matt Marshak, with Detroit’s own Deon Yates opening. “The young powerhouse guitarist out of New York, Matt Marshak, is taking the contemporary jazz scene by storm with his exciting funk infused sound. Opening for Matt Marshak is Detroit’s own Deon Yates and his band. This double bill will provide for a memorable night of the best in contemporary jazz from two great music cities.”
- August 7 – Walter White & Small Medium@LargeBand – “an 11 piece jazz ensemble. Oak Park native Walter White has been a first-call trumpeter in New York and beyond for more than two decades, with a resume that includes work with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Harry Connick Jr., Mingus Big Band, Dave Holland and all manner of others.”
- August 14 – Alexander Zonjic’s All-Star Jam – “with very special guests including, all the way from Vancouver, Canadian contemporary jazz star, trumpeter Gabriel Mark Hasselbach as well as James Lloyd from the great group, Pieces of a Dream and the Motor City Horns performing an exciting grand finale to a summer of jazz. You never who will show up to keep the party going all night.
The West Dearborn Downtown Development Authority hosts Friday Nites in the Park in the Bryant Library’s Muirhead Plaza at 22100 Michigan Avenue. The rain alternate location will be at the Henry Ford Centennial Library at 16301 Michigan Avenue.
All concerts are 6:30-9 p.m. and the line up is as follows:
- July 26: Big Will and the 360 Band, rock and Latin jazz
- August 9: Big Band Memories, sounds of the Big Band era
- August 23: Beat Club, Beatles Tribute Band
Bring a chair or blanket and enjoy the free entertainment.